Sunday, September 13, 2009

Accommodating students with allergies tall order

This is an interesting article recently published in the StarPhoenix. It's about asking students to not consume peanuts 2 hours prior to going to class and to only use unscented deodorant, shaving cream and no perfume because a student is very sensitive to these products.

As a mom of child with severe peanut allergies I disagree with asking students to not consume peanut butter. Yes I disagree. You can't ask people to not eat peanut products and you sure can't trust that they will. The deeper issue for me is that all children with peanut and tree nut allergies have to learn to manage their allergies and to be careful not to consume it. But they will always be around people who do eat it which gives the peanut-allergic child a choice to simply move to another spot. Think about airplanes. Many airlines do not ban peanuts on their flights and even if you call ahead and request that they serve an alternate to peanuts, someone can still walk on with a Reeces Peanut Butter Cup or something similar that is loaded with peanut butter.

As far as being sensitive to cologne, perfume, shaving cream and deodorant, well I think we are at one time or another sensitive to these allergens and again the student can simply move to another spot or take an over the counter medication. Being sensitive to perfumes is not life-threatening like being allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. It is simply an annoyance.

You can read the article here:
Accommodating students with allergies tall order

Shared via AddThis

No comments:

Post a Comment