Wednesday, September 16, 2009

When a school is not peanut free

Amanda just started 4th grade. Our school does not have a peanut free table for lunch and there are no limitations in the classroom as far as what children can bring for a snack.

Last week Amanda came home and said "Mom, every one at my table in class eats a peanut butter sandwich for their snack".

The next day I was in the nurse's office discussing why my child has to be exposed to something she is severely allergic to. "It's not a peanut free school". The school doesn't even try to put all the peanut allergic in one class so as to alleviate a lot of children in the class bringing in peanut products as a snack.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Accommodating students with allergies tall order

This is an interesting article recently published in the StarPhoenix. It's about asking students to not consume peanuts 2 hours prior to going to class and to only use unscented deodorant, shaving cream and no perfume because a student is very sensitive to these products.

As a mom of child with severe peanut allergies I disagree with asking students to not consume peanut butter. Yes I disagree. You can't ask people to not eat peanut products and you sure can't trust that they will. The deeper issue for me is that all children with peanut and tree nut allergies have to learn to manage their allergies and to be careful not to consume it. But they will always be around people who do eat it which gives the peanut-allergic child a choice to simply move to another spot. Think about airplanes. Many airlines do not ban peanuts on their flights and even if you call ahead and request that they serve an alternate to peanuts, someone can still walk on with a Reeces Peanut Butter Cup or something similar that is loaded with peanut butter.

As far as being sensitive to cologne, perfume, shaving cream and deodorant, well I think we are at one time or another sensitive to these allergens and again the student can simply move to another spot or take an over the counter medication. Being sensitive to perfumes is not life-threatening like being allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. It is simply an annoyance.

You can read the article here:
Accommodating students with allergies tall order

Shared via AddThis