I totally agree with this article that restaurant workers are not educated when it comes to food allergies. I had my own experience with this not too long ago at Red Robin. My daughter who is allergic to peanuts inquired about the cheesecake bites and the waitress did not know whether they contained peanuts or not. She went to ask the kitchen. They told her no. Went sent her back a second time because she had forgotten to ask about tree nuts. She came back and said no, again. Apparently the manager was alerted and came to our table with the label from the packaging in which they were shipped. Right there on the label was the warning, "may contain peanuts or tree nuts". She can't take that risk.
As a safety precaution, we rarely venture outside of the restaurants we know as "safe". Otherwise we just eat at home.
Please see article below:
Food allergy risk poorly grasped in restaurants - Health - CBC News