One thing that was evident today, even in a doctor's office, is that a peanut allergy is so misunderstand. And most people don't even know the difference between what a peanut is and what a tree nut is. I must admit, I would not be so educated on this subject had I not had a child who almost died from ingesting a minute amount of peanut butter on a tiny piece of bread when she was 23 months. I have had to learn a lot since that day in 2001. But still, if you are professional you would think you would know the difference and then therefore not make the mistake of testing a child for only 1 tree nut. That didn't really help me. I can't assume that because she tested negative to pecans that she won't go into anaphylactic shock by ingesting one of the many other tree nuts like walnuts, cashews, almonds and pistasios.
My book on peanut allergies clearly defines the difference between the two and hopefully it will help to educate people who know nothing of peanut or tree nut allergies.