Monday, April 20, 2009

The Allergist

After our scare with Amanda we took her to see a top Allergist in Dallas.  He us prescription for an epi-pen and told us to carry it with us at all times.  One thing he said that I found interesting and that I have never forgotten, is that he thinks there might be a correlation between how much peanut butter I ate while pregnant with Amanda and her peanut allergy.  I did eat a few peanut butter sandwiches.  It was like comfort food to me and that became a snack that I loved.

I didn't think much about that until a few years ago when I was reading about children being diagnosed with a peanut allergy at less than a year old.  How on earth they were diagnosed I don't know.   When I think back to when Amanda was a baby, she cried all the time.  She was extremely fussy.  I had a young pediatrician who just told me she had colick.   She was also always sick and would spit up her formula.  I mean projectile vomiting.  I took her to see the doctor a lot, but he always said the same thing - colick, or crying for no reason, or that babies do cry.  I was so happy to stop using formula because the throwing up stopped.   Is it possible for a baby to be born with peanut allergies?  She also had eczema and itchy skin and would get blotchy.   I'm sure I ate something that had peanuts in it back then and kissed her.   I wonder if she was allergic back then?  Or did giving her that tiny bite of sandwich give her the allergy?  I wish I knew.  W

Does anyone have a child who was diagnosed at a very young age that didn't eat peanut butter?  How did you find out?  And what prompted you to seek help?  Does anyone have a fussy baby and the doctor suggested a blood test to test for allergy's?
I'd love to hear your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment